Monday 15 April 2019

Not everyday has to be extraordinary, even in paradise

This is a line I think I read somewhere, although I can't remember where so it could also just be something that just came to me. Who knows. Doesn't really matter, what does matter is that by (finally) coming to this realisation my life truely has sort of changed. Or maybe it's more my look on life that has changed. Either way, it really helped me lift the pressure of adventure off my shoulders which resulted in me finding ways to find something extra ordinary in everyday again!

So this is the deal, here's some real talk.

I had never worked two jobs as such before in my life. I’ve always been busy doing about a million things at once combining my horses with music classes, high school and scouting for instance and still finding the time for a social life. But I never actually had to combine two jobs with life. Turns out that's harder to do than combining hobbies when you're a kid.  
So it took me quite some time to find a balance between working and still going on adventures/ having fun.

this was the result of a pretty
average day working both jobs
And in doing this I learned something really important. I decided to let go of the crazy idea that, because I’m living this travellers life in the far far away country that is Australia, that I should be doing something extra ordinary everyday because I would otherwise be “wasting” my time here in paradise somehow. 
Almost funny to think about it like that now, because after all, this is MY life and My adventure and if I feel like doing nothing I'm quite entitled to do so. And certainly because of some recent events that happened like some kid throwing up on (and effectively destroying) my laptop as well as some struggles I had with my skin I felt tired and just didn't want to do more then I was obligated to do with my work. Which is quite normal tbh, life's though and sometimes it just wares you down. It happens all the time and to everyone in certain degrees. Everybody needs down time.

But with only 5 weeks left to my time in Byron I decide to make sure I have at least 1 full day off a week, and to dedicate that day to exploring. This way I would be able to have my extraordinary days and see amazing things and still have my time to chill and do absolutely nothing at all in those 2 to 4 hours in between or before shifts. You see the thing is, spending time doing something you want or enjoy doing at the time isn't wasting time. I've come to understand that this is mostly just self care and self love, to let you just be you.

And so I started planning and setting out at least once a week exploring Byron Bay all the way. This lead to finding some great spots like the Killen falls, lunch at The Farm and dips in the tea tree lake with Loreto between shifts. Meeting up with Fien, an old friend from ponycamp and exploring the Springbrook national park on the Gold Coast hinterland. As well as solo day tripping to the Mynion falls and a lot of Byron bay hinterland along the way.

I'll take more about and give you all the deets on these great places to explore very soon!

First I'm dying to talk about my birthday adventures, which I'll be doing next. So stay tuned on all the sweet stuff about Phuket, Thailand!!
xoxo Liz


Phuket birthday adventures

Two thousand nineteen has been a good year. Already. On the 3rd of April I celebrated my birthday in solitude. My 5th birthday abro...