Wednesday 20 March 2019

the second of many 700k

The Alpine national park is home to Victoria's highest peak, Mount Bogong which stands at just under 2000m. In winter prime back country skiing territory, during the summer the hills provide excellent walking trails and views alike.

And views is what I got. The beginning of the Great Dividing range is an absolutely stunning region most known for the wines coming from the Yarra Valley, but coming from the north it's just a beautiful driving through Mount Buffalo national park.

Day one: Ky to Smoko, December 15th

Leaving my familiar home of Kyabram behind after a great last night BBQ with friends I headed toward the coast. As I had 3 whole days to get to Mallacoota, my spirits were high as I turned up the music and drove through that flat dry bushland toward the hills!

Dinner done right
An easy 3 hours later I found myself on the Smoko (free) campground a couple of k's outside the charming town of Bright which is the base for exploring both Mount Buffalo and the Alpine National parks. Which was exactly what I was in for the following day, so I set up camp next to the river surrounded by gorgeous nature.
Disclaimer: be fire wise guys!
as we were so close to the river, there was no wind
and it had rained quite a bit the previous
weeks we deemed it safe to start a small fire 
Ovens river made for a perfect (chilly) wash in the morning
looking up at the hills I was to overcome the following day

Up, up and over the hills

 But first, time for some brekkie
I found the Lavender Hue farm thanks to a friendly recommendation from the tourist information centre in Bright. I find this is almost always the best way to find local gems, certainly in more rural areas. Local knowledge is such a great bonus and helps you keep away from tourists where possible! And this was nothing less.

A beautiful little farm just north of the little township of Harrietville along the Great Alpine road. Obviously I had scones and a flat white for brekkie (when in doubt; eat scones :p ). What a great way to start the day, I wandered around the farm a bit, wrote in my book and simply enjoyed having brekkie in such a beautiful place before I headed off further along the ever winding Great Alpine road.

 And so I went, up up and up to the top. Stopping every now and then where possible to have a break from the narrow, steep and winding roads leading up to Hothem Heights.


This Alpine ski resort town was a bit eary with the bad weather coming through and the little movement as it was off-season. 

It was breathtakingly beautiful nonetheless at the top even though  I had to put on long jeans and a jumper and a rain jacket to stay warm.








Renes Lookout
Mount Hothem ski resort
Baldhead Phipps Forest
 

The way down was mercifully less windy and gave me a bit more room to enjoy the views around me in stead of having 300% concentration on the road in which case I had to find a place to actually get out and find a spot to enjoy the surroundings.

Anyway the way down was long but easier and with better weather and I found this beautiful lookout for lunch about halfway down.

Connors Hill





An hour later I found myself this lookout for another leg stretch and to take in all of the mountains once again before heading off toward the ocean.






 
 It was a good 5 hours from the summit of Mount Hotham to having my toes in the southern ocean once again.

It was pissing down rain when I arrived (which obviously didn't stop me from getting my feet in the ocean after 4 long years). Thankfully by the time I had found a place to sleep, went to the shops and had dinner the rain had stopped and I headed to the beach to be treated to this absolutely gorgeous sunset.
 


Last leg: Mallacoota

Thanks to my hosts I found two wonderfull little spots on my way to Mallacoota. Both the rainforest walk and the falls are little known and beautiful spots to to as quick detours from the road to my new home for a while.






Next up my first Aussie Chrissy and a jam-packed two weeks with a wonderfull family !
xoxo Liz


Phuket birthday adventures

Two thousand nineteen has been a good year. Already. On the 3rd of April I celebrated my birthday in solitude. My 5th birthday abro...